Sunday, October 7, 2012

Walking in Singapore

Walking in the Singapore Grand Prix Track at Marina Bay


During the time I spent going around Singapore, I decided on one of those days to actually get an estimate of how many steps I did in a day. I don't usually do long walks. In fact, I believe that I was given feet by God to actually use it to operate the pedals of a car. Kidding aside, I do know the importance of exercising and I do like walking at times. 

Pedometer is all set at 0
So I borrowed a purchased pedometer in one of those everything $2 shops in Singapore and started my day with walking. It  is said that 10,000 steps were the recommended steps per day for a person to achieve good fitness. Personally, I think I am fit enough. But, to walk for 10,000 steps for a day and without any regular load of walking that much, I estimate to walk around just 3,000 steps per day, maybe even less. Well, I couldn't be too sure but, I recorded two days of my travel weekend with a 13,000+ steps on a Saturday and 14,000+ steps on a Sunday. That's a lot for someone like me who doesn't walk as much on any regular day.

They say 10,000 steps are said to be around 5 miles. For a more Asian conversion, that would be 8 kilometers. 

The estimated number of steps I made on Sunday's Race Day


At the end of the day, it felt good that I was going well over 10,000 steps. Thinking of how much carbohydrates I had to consume wasn't a problem, and feeling fit was always something good for the psyche. Plus, I was sure to have a good night's sleep. The aching however was terrible but tolerable at the feet. Funny how my calves, hamstrings, and glutes, hip muscles and back had a bit of aching through all the mobility and stability. But hey, mixing a daily chore and not noticing it as exercise, fitness could be easier like this.




No comments:

Post a Comment